ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:01:03 -0500
At 08:39 a.m. 1/06/2009, Peter Adams wrote:
>I've never understood some teachers' constraints on first person, so
>I look forward to reading the replies to Paul's post.

DD: Very formal, legal talk. "The party of the first part." "The
party of the second part." Is that what you mean? (Except in quoting
verbatim transcriptions of testimony.)  I have seen the move to
plural first person as in the Royal We and the POTUS We. Seems a bit
arrogant to me, unless you are royalty.

>I also wonder about contractions.  I tell my students that they
>shouldn't use them in very formal writing or when writing to an
>audience that thinks they shouldn't be used.

DD: Write to your reader. Want to offend them, then use forms you think will.