ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
"Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:14:10 -0700
I teach at a very small, private college that teaches classes on several
campuses.  I teach the Modern Grammar course on this campus that is
required of Ed students who will teach English, ESL or Bilingual
Education.  We used to require these students to take History of
English, also, but no more.  It has been difficult to find teachers for
the satellite sites and we increasingly rely on people who have gotten
their M. Ed.(s) in English, with mixed results.

In the past, I have used a functional approach, but we are now using
Grammar for Grammarians: Prescriptive, Descriptive, Generative,
Contextual by Parker and Riley.  This is my first semester with this
book and my class starts tomorrow, so I am not sure how it will go.

I have an M.A. that I wrote myself, but which is very similar to degrees
that used to be called Applied Linguistics.  It was basically a
combination of English, linguistics, education and foreign language
classes.

Janet Castilleja
Heritage University
Toppenish WA