ATEG Archives

November 2008

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:55:08 -0600
At 03:12 PM 11/26/2008, Scott Woods wrote:
>I want to test a technique involving grammar for its effectiveness
>in improving reading comprehension.  Please let me know what you
>think of my design and if you have any suggestions for related research. . . .

DD: You called? From out of the wood work comes there now a
Psychometrician (Retired.) It sounds like a sound design, as
presented. However {Ever notice how there is always a caveat?} you
are dealing with a rather high end sample.* High IQ and all that. Do
the study. Slap it into a Chi Square contingency test and see. Make
sure the groups are selected truly randomly. Report the results. I
personally think you are doing true science here. A lot rarer than
you would think. The null hypothesis is there will not be a
significant difference. Fifty fifty. I'd go for the more risky a
priori prediction that there will be one in favor of the graphic
syntax. That way I get to use a one tail test and that allows
significance at a lower level. It is risky, though, because if it
turns around and bites YOU on the tail and the normal text group
comes out ahead, the experimenter is required to perform a ritual
self immolation. We rarely do, though. Just lie and report we did no
a priori post hoc corrections. Keep me posted. Fascinating to see a
well designed experiment before it is done. Usually the
psychometrician just gets a bunch of results and is asked to make
sense out of it. {Usually by an attractive graduate student. Blonde
preferred.} I suspect that timing will indeed change the results, but
that a correlation between speed v extended time will show a high r.
Suggestion for future reading - anything by Ohmer Milton. I remain,
your faithful friend and joyous companion in original research.

* Ware the regression toward the mean.