ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:17:43 -0400
Craig,
I would agree that cognitive metaphors and literary metaphors represent different regions on a continuum of metaphor, just as "have" ranges from being a fully lexical verb meaning "possess, own" to being completely grammaticalized to the degree that many native speakers can no longer distinguish between "have" and "of" in certain environments, as we have all seen in the writing of our students, and occasionally in our own unedited writing.  We've had a fair number of doctoral dissertations on metaphor in our program, working in at least a half dozen different languages (English, Korean, Bulgarian, Thai, Chinese, Arabic, Japanese, etc.), and literature colleagues who have looked at them have been both intrigued and puzzled by how linguists deal with metaphor.  They recognize that we're dealing with something they're familiar with and work with in a different way, but they are surprised when they recognize "I have your back" or "I stand behind you" as metaphors.  In their work they're interested in identifying metaphors and describing how a writer uses them.  In our work we're interested in defining what metaphors are and the role they play at a much deeper level in creating meaning, in shaping thought, and in organizing cognition.  I wouldn't argue that we're dealing with different things but rather that we have different methods and goals for looking at these things, which also lead us to differ in what we consider data, or whether we thing we're considering data at all.

Herb