ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:12:13 -0400
Peter,
   I would use construction grammar terminology and call it a "schema", a
set grammatical construction with variable slots.

   too   [adjective]  to  [verb]

The excess of adjective (state) precludes the action or activity.

Too sick to work.  Too tired to care.  Too lazy to pick up after himself.
You can go on indefinitely.

I don't think it is an adverb of purpose (Allison's suggestion) because
there is often no purpose involved.

Craig>

 I'm wondering if someone on the list could help me with the analysis