ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:10:29 -0400
Bruce,

I haven't seen the Vh analysis since, I think, Gleason's text, or something of that vintage.  I suppose the closest analog today would be the syllabic analysis in which a short vowel is

and a long vowel is

V   V
 \ /

In r-less dialects, not all final /r/ turn into schwa.  Low and central vowels typically don't diphthongize, although I'm sure there are dialects that do.  But you're right that the intrusive /r/ results from a loss of final /r/ that results in no longer distinguishing, e.g., tuba and tuber.  Since those with original /r/ would have an /r/ between vowels but not finally or before consonants, the environments in which /r/ disappears become the dominant ones, and all central and low vowel-final words pick up the /r/.  Dialects do differ as to whether this happens only across word boundaries (Cuber is) or also across morpheme boundaries (She's drawring a picture).  I'm sure the cross-dialect distribution of these things has been studied.

Herb