ATEG Archives

May 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 14:46:49 -0400
Zero affixation is different from functional shift, as Natalie's example suggests.  The plural of "deer" is "deer."  That would be considered zero affixation, where some, usually ill-defned, subset of a word class does not take the expected suffix.  Usually zero suffixation is inflectional, as with this plural example.  Functional shift is a derivational process.  In a language like English where there is so much inflectional morphology and so little of it regular, there is no expected suffix for changing a word from a noun to a verb, or from any category to any other category, and so the terms "functional shift," "zero derivation," and "conversion" are ways of labeling changes in word class that have no effect on stem form.

Herb