ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
richard betting <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 2009 08:22:19 -0500
Beth,
When you change the verb from 'tried' to 'gave,' you change the
function of some of the words in the area. In this case I think Dick
is right in his analysis. Substitute 'hard' for 'their best' and so
see it's a verb modifier in function in that slot following 'tried.'
As in 'they worked hard, they played hard, they showered.' Not 'they
gave hard.'
Dick Betting
Prof. Emeritus
VCSU