ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:42:44 +1000
Both British and Australian English observes the `comma inside' practice in
literary texts. The practice is called `the fiction-convention comma'. Under
that convention, the comma stays inside the direct-speech sequence: `I
really am hungry,' said John. But that comma is supposed to be confined to
fiction. (Ghastly, really, and quite illogical.)
Sophie