ATEG Archives

March 2015

From:
Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2015 21:04:50 +0000
Professor Grant--
I see "due to" as a slang version for "because of."  I can say the book is due on June 1st or overdue on June 2nd. I have never used the phrase "due to" (except to disparage it) nor did I ever hear it in my home: my parents were sticklers for correct English at all times and in all situations even casual ones.  Oddly enough, the question did not arise in any of my undergraduate or graduate classes that I took or taught, except once in an ESOL class.  I ignored it there because the Caucasian students were speaking in almost an "Amos and Andy" dialect that I considered more objectionable than a simple "due to" usage.  Yes, I reported the situation to the principal and the school board (The principal did not see any problem with the dialect being taught).  As a result, I was no longer referred by the school board; fortunately, many principals liked the idea of a teacher certified across the board in all academic subjects and called me directly.