ATEG Archives

February 1998

From:
Edith Wollin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:07:21 -0800
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Roberto Perez wrote:

> At 22:55 24/02/98 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I have problems with this sentence. It should use the -ing form.
> >
> >1. I hear (they all, come) downstairs and (go) into the kitchen.
> >I hear ??? coming downstairs and going into the kitchen.
> >
> >(I don't know how to do the part that says "they all")
> >

> Try to complete the following sentence:
>
> I saw __________ (they) yesterday.
>
> So, the same transformation you'd do here, you should do in your original
> sentence. (this is pure Constructivism ;-)  )

The problem with this response is that it does help Fernando understand
why one has an objective form with a verb after it--the answer there is
that come is an unmarked infinitive and them is the subject of the
infinitive, and subjects of infinitives are in the objective case in
English--perhaps because of Roberto's logic.

> > >2. I can't imagine (they
all,
get) to school in time. > >I can't imagine ??? getting to school in time.

> >(The same as above)
> >

> Same idea. The "all" remains as it is, try to figure out how you transform
> the personal pronoun.
Well, Certainly, most Americans would use them here, but the test writers
are going to want their because getting is a gerund and needs to be
preceded by a possessive pronoun.