ATEG Archives

September 1997

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 15:36:28 -0400
Below is the information I received:

The advertised deadline just passed, but we can
receive manuscripts
until the end of October and still get the journal out on
time.

The current address is
    InLand
    Dept. of English
    Northwest Nazarene College
    623 Holly Street
    Nampa, ID  83686
    Phone: (208) 467-8453
    Fax: (208) 467-8469
    e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thanks for your quick reply and offer of assistance.

       --Gaymon

Date:          Thu, 25 Sep 1997 16:32:39 -0400
From:          EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
To:            [log in to unmask]
Subject:       ATEG -Reply

Gaymon,
     Thank you for your response. I will be happy to post
your call on ATEG's listserver and to publish it in our
newsletter. That will alert all our members, including
Martha Kolln, Connie Weaver, and Rei Noguchi.
Before I do so, however, can you send this back to me
with a deadline for the gammar issue and with an
address for Inland? (The address I have may be old.)
Thanks,
Ed V.

>>> "Gaymon Bennett" <[log in to unmask]>
09/24/97 04:39pm >>>
Dear Ed--

I'm sorry to be so long rewponding to your letter and
materials sent
last February.  I have be out of the country on
sabbatical leave, and
a slowly digging out of accumulated correspondence
and deferred
duties.  Your information couldn't have arrived at a
better time:
InLand is devoting an entire issue to the teaching of
grammar and
other aspects of language.  Because of the nature of
this issue, I
would be happy to promote ATEG free of charge
(though it's true we do
sell advertising and would be happy to advertise ATEG
in subsequent
issues at very good rates, if I do say so myself).

We have, as you can tell by the call for copy
broadened the
consideration of "grammar" to related aspects of
English language
teaching.  Still we haven't received many manuscripts.
 Could you
help us by contacting a few colleagues who might
contribute an
article or by providing us with names of people we
could contact?

Our call for copy for the Fall-Winter number reads in
part:

To Grammar or Not to Grammar

. . . Is teaching (or not teaching) grammar still an
issue?  Is it a
semantic question?  Do different groups mean
something different by
the term?  Is it. . . a political issue?  And in any event,
what is
to be done?

In this issue we will asssume that the question is still
not resolved
and welcome articles on the questions of whether
grammar, usage,
and/or mechanics should be taught.  Or what aspects
of language
should be taught.  Or how language should be taught.

We welcome submissions on innovative ways to
teach language or
integrate language study into literature or writing
instruction.
We'd like to learn about interesting language activities
substitute for tired old exercises.  We'd like to learn
about the
place of language instruction in writing workshops and
other
collaborative activities.  We'd like to know about your
successes or
instructive failures in language teaching.

In short, the issue is wide open.

I hope you can help out.  Let me know what you want
us include in the
way of advertising.

Looking forward to your response

            --Gaymon Bennett