ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
"Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 07:58:53 -0400
I received some friendly ribbing for incorrectly assuming "God save the queen" was imperative, since Christians would never presume to make demands of the deity.

But wait a minute! Don't they address all kinds of imperatives heavenward? The first lines of the "Pater Noster" are subjunctive:

* Hallowed be thy name
* Thy kingdom come
* Thy will be done

But what about the next four?

* Give us this day our daily bread
* Forgive us our trespasses
* Lead us not into temptation
* Deliver us from evil

And grace before meals:

* Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts...

And the sailor's hymn:

* Oh hear us when we cry to thee/ For those in peril on the sea

And "De Profundis":

* Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord./ Lord hear my voice!/ O let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleading.

And Janis Joplin:

* I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down./ Prove that you love me and buy the next round.

So (Lord, have mercy!) it wouldn't surprise me a bit if more than a few Brits on the street are also thinking imperative when they sing their national anthem.

Dick Veit