ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:10:22 -0400
    I think other candidates would be "be supposed to" and "be able to."
Like "have to", they can shift tense.
    "He is able to go." "He can go."
    "He has to go." "He must go." "He is supposed to go."
    Unlike the more prototypical models, you can combine them routinely.
    "He might have been able to go." "He should have been able to go." It
would seem ungrammatical to say "might can" or "should can", but the
periphrastic forms aren't so fully constrained.

Craig>

You're right, Scott. "Have to," "used to" and "ought to" (aka *hafta*, *