ATEG Archives

November 2011

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:41:49 -0500
     I think even with a single plural number in front of it, the construction would be singular. "His thesis was a seven sentence construction." All this starts with "a". We simply think of it as a single entity (construction) made up of more than one sentence. "There are seven sentences in his seven sentence construction."
    I'm reading so much cognitive stuff that's it's hard for me not to fall into that language. We can conceive of the thesis as a single entity even when it has more than one part.  The language harmonizes with that.

Craig