ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
"Glauner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:35:12 -0500
Greg,

I see this sort of thing in the writing of persons who don't do a lot of
reading.  They spell the word the way it sounds to them when it is
pronounced.  The hasty speaker sometimes leaves the second -er off a word
like manufacturer. We are a long way from accepting this particular
respelling.  Spelling in English is exceedingly resistant to change.  This
misspelling might, however, mean that the pronunciation of the word is in
flux.  Pronunciation is not as resistant to change as spelling.  Notice, for
instance, the almost complete loss of the distinctive wh- sound in standard
English.  A large percentage of speakers now pronounces "weather" and
"whether" as homonyms.  That leads to some interesting confusion in writing.

Jeff Glauner
Associate Professor of English
Park University, Box 1303
8700 River Park Drive