ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 02:18:01 +0000
Hi Y'all,

When I shared Wheeler and Swords work with my community college students,
almost the entire class responded positively. They wrote response papers
about Wheeler and Swords research on the contrastive approach to grammar. My
students seemed truly excited, interested, relieved and happy to learn that
some educators advocate respect for dialiect diversity. Oh and incidentally
they seemed more responsive to grammar lessons and learned Standard Forms
more readily. DUH!

The African American students who spoke AAVE and the students from Downeast
who spoke the "Hoi Toider" Brogue were especially touched by my appreciation
for the beauty and poetry and yes, the rules of their dialects.

I left my part time job at the community college in Morehead City, North
Carolina to work full time at a nearby wilderness camp for at-risk youth.
One of my students (AAVE) used "turnt" for "turned."  When another kid
laughed, I pointed out "Burnt" is a from of "burned." and we talked about
why we laugh at difference (language, appearance, etc).

On another occasion at camp, one of my co-workers (a counselor, not a
teacher) loudly corrected a student during a meal conversation who said.."I
ain't got no...."  I jumped in a commented on the need to respect difference
in dialect. I got a strange look. I don't know if anyone at the camp is on
my wave length at all, but I must speak my beliefs.

My students let me know over and over that this approach gives them
confirmation about their linguistic competence. In addition to English, I
teach sign language, Spanish, French, and they want more. They teach me
their dialect and we all laugh at my mono-dialectalism compared to their
bi-dialectalism. I can't teach grammar or writing any other way. It just
seems too boring and too mean to put out that my students can't speak
English, or that their speech communities are inferior. I stress over and
over again the importance of learning Standard English. In fact, I insist
that they understand that I am NOT suggesting in any way that they don't
need Standard English in today's world.

Maybe I'm deluded. Maybe I'll get in trouble someday. Maybe I'm in the
minority, but I have a following out there. I know I'm just passing on the
great ideas that others have put forth, and I don't take credit for
originality here. It just feels right. The kids can see that language is fun
for me.

-

Christine Reintjes Martin