ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:29:24 -0400
Dear John and Eduard and all,

It is indeed true that my colleague Sandra Wyngaard, head of English
at State College (PA) High School, and I are in the throes of
production.  Our book, "Discovering Grammar: Unlocking the Language
Toolbox for Middle School Readers and Writers,"  takes teachers and
students step by small step through minilessons to mastery.

We begin with a short lesson on Subject/Predicate, which, by the way,
includes a structured writing assignment (which many of the
minilessons do).  Then  come nine minilessons on nouns and noun
phrases and pronouns.  These lessons include discussions of
form--singular/plural as well as derivational endings-- that help
students unlock their own inner grammar expertise.  Next come seven
minilessons on verb forms.   All of these lead to and are integrated
with the next series of lessons on ten sentence patterns, which are
essentially predicate patterns.  With each lesson, directed mainly at
teachers, we include several "Unlocking" exercises and
"reading/writing connection"
exercises, classroom activities for the students--many of which are
connected to the young-adult literature they are reading.

I have learned from Sandra--and by talking to many teachers--that
today's language arts classes are very different from what many of us
remember way back when--or even not so way back.  Today's teachers
rely on minilessons, on word study, on word sorts (many of which we
include),  with very little, if any, attention to syntax  in an
organized way.  That lack of attention is due in large part to the
teachers' own inadequate grammar background and very scant help from
textbooks.

We are very excited about what we have accomplished so far.  The
first section of the book--100+ pages--will be class-tested this fall
in all nine middle schools of Carroll County, Maryland, as well as in
selected classes in four other school districts, including districts
in  two other states as well as Pennsylvania.  We expect to have the
finished published version ready for fall 2007.  We are publishing
and planning to market it ourselves.

As I explain in the Introduction, the material is based on my
"Understanding English Grammar," which is based on sentence patterns.
I firmly believe that the framework of sentence patterns  has been
enormously helpful for my college-level students in the teacher-prep
grammar class.  In the new book, we are including the very simplest
diagrams for the sentence patterns--so they will be there for those
teachers who want to include them.

As I said in my keynote address at ATEG last month, minilessons are
here to stay in the language arts classrooms of middle schools.  If
we want to have an impact, we have to join them.  Believe me, these
are not the  minilessons that Constance Weaver describes in her
books, the "teachable moment" occasions that occur in writing
workshops.  Ours are organized in small steps, designed to fit into a
classroom period, that scaffold on one another but that also bring to
the students' conscious understanding  step by organized step the
subconscious knowledge that they had with them when they entered
kindergarten.  Mastery through minilessons is our goal.

I'll appreciate your input and interest, especially those of you who
might be interested in seeing more detail as it becomes available.
The table of contents will be ready  soon; that might give you a
better idea of our program.

Martha