ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 15:37:38 -0400
Dear all,

I wonder if anyone would be willing to give me feedback on a work-in-progress, a grammatical analysis of a Robert Frost poem. I will have it completed later this week. The poem is "Never Again Would Birds' Song Be the Same," a late Frost sonnet that is celebrated as a tour-de-force.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm giving a brief talk on this poem at a seminar on Frost in June: I'm interested in how the poem might or might not exemplify Frost's theories of sentence sounds, by which  he means, speaking roughly, how the counterpoint of the "irregular" intonational contours against the regular metrical beat gives life to a poem. I'll feel more secure staking claims about the intonational contours with confirmation from a better grammarian than I that I am working from a correct--or correctable--basic grammatical analysis.

If you are so kindly willing, please let me know how I might forward this document to you off-list.

On a related note, I am very grateful to the list for all the answers I received to questions posed this spring. I've smiled at the discussions of how confidential is ATEG: it is difficult to publicly admit to uncertainty and thus to a lack of expertise, but I've felt tremendous support from this group and have been grateful for its friendly reception of queries. I wish there were resource-oriented groups connected to all the areas I teach!

All best,
Natalie

Natalie Gerber
Department of English