ATEG Archives

June 2013

From:
William Hillaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:37:42 -0400
Hi Odile,

This kind of question is one that I make my students solve when they
answer questions--to know what sort of question is being asked. _How_ is
one of those terms that has two different kinds of adverbial answers
that need to be discerned. _What_ is nominal. From your standalones
below:

The way to survive the big one, but is this a fashion or is it a
process?

The way to create, obviously reads like a process--or step-by-step.

To do Something in SanFran.

To make Something of the climate-change plateau.

In these cases, the slots are easy to follow/use.

Does using the RK diagram help you with exposition of the texts for your
students?

The stilts are effective in RK to set apart each structure, but what
function does it have in the rest of the sentence?

Your original question did not read like you were trying to have each
statement as a question, e.g.,:

You will learn + stilts + the way (_HOW_) to do something;

or

You will learn + stilts + To do Something (_WHAT_).

I also ask my students to try not to use _DO_ if they can help it. I
call Do a proVERB. In any case, perhaps trying to have a little more
precision with the _DO_ will help you have an easier time with the
adverbial slot for _HOW_.

Grace and Peace,

William R. D. Hillaker, M.Div, M.A
The Southwestern Classical Academy
An International Baccalaureate World School

"* the things about which men are agreed are apt to be the things that
are least worth holding; the really important things are the things
about which men will fight." -J. Gresham Machen
>>> Odile Sullivan-Tarazi  06/26/13 12:13 PM >>>
In a sentence such as "you will learn how to " or "you will learn what
to ," how would you construe and diagram those cores? (I mean, in terms
of Reed-Kellogg diagrams.)

Would the infinitive phrases be up on stilts in the direct object
position? With "how" in the adverbial slot, "what" in the direct object
slot, within the portion on stilts? Or have I got this wrong? Would some
other pictorial representation (within this system of diagramming)
better reflect the relationships here?

When I think of the phrase "how to ," for whatever reason, I have a hard
time thinking of the "how" as an adverb, particularly when the phrase
stands on its own. The same goes for the similar construction that
begins with "what," again when on its own. In these cases, the "how" and
the "what" seem to me in some way to govern the infinitive phrase that
follows.

I'm thinking of standalone phrases such as *

     How to survive the big one
     How to create a restricted list on Facebook
     What to do in San Francisco
     What to make of a climate-change plateau

Would you say there's something different about these phrases when
they're on their own? Or am I being woefully misled by Wrong Thinking?

Thanks!

Odile

interface at:

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail transmission may contain
confidential information regarding the Flint Community Schools or
students of the Flint Community School system. This e-mail and any
attached files are intended only for the use of the person/s or entity
to which it is addressed and should be considered confidential. If this
e-mail was sent to you in error, please immediately notify the sender
via the e-mail address shown and delete this message from your mail
system.