ATEG Archives

July 2014

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2014 07:39:38 -0700
Hi Glenda,

Though terminology associated with grammar and syntax is useful in grouping words associated with the concept of making something happen, I think such categorization is most productive if it leads to an analysis of steps taken in making things happen.  Actions break down into steps.  Conditionals are considerations of circumstances required or desired to take action.  Our ability, intent, and obligation are also factored in.  The question arises, though, in terms of focus.  If you are going to get married, "married" is the focus.  The same would be so if you were fixin' to get married.  But, what if you are preparing to get married?  When does our focus shift from the goal to the steps taken to achieve that goal?

The same question arises when a student writes, "I started to climb the fence."  How does "started" differ from the act of climbing?  John R. Searle writes that the grammar of action breaks down into many steps.  But, in these, action begins with the general intent to act, followed by a direct intent that initiates the action, itself.  I think that young writers have an unconscious awareness of that second intention that shows up in their writing as "started to."  The question is: What does that signify to the reader.

The other question is this:  When does a term like "fixin' to" achieve a cultural buy-in to what is being said because it asserts a shared belief:  "Around here we like take our own good time when doin' somethin' so it don't cause no problems."  Our brains love this stuff, especially that "around here" that we now hear in commercials selling solid principles of financial planning.  When words acquire strong emotional overtones, they have been bent to a social purpose that changes their meaning and significance to an audience.

I would say, Glenda, in connecting with Marshall as you have, you have introduced personal information (speaking of social purpose) that adds greatly to the discussion you initiated some time ago.  Let me go back to the beginning to ask about the use of "me" in Langston Hughes' line "I'm gonna write me some music . . ."  Is it like: "I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter"?  Is it like: "I'm gonna write it myself"?  Or, is it something else?  And, if so, what grammatical, syntactical term would be used to categorize it?  This is not a rhetorical question.  I really don't know.

Perhaps someone out there can help me.

Thanks,

Gregg