ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:50:14 +0000
> Dear Scott Woods,

I know this is late but you might find the suggestion useful.  I have found
it useful to borrow the arrangement Francis Christensen employs in 'Notes
Toward a New Rhetoric' (see for example, pp. 9-13).  Students draw four
vertical lines down the page on the left-hand side, each slightly further in
from the margin.  Such a page can then be used both for analysis of the
sentences of given passages  (as well as of the structure of paragraphs
themselves -- see pp. 68-9), and for the writing of their own pieces.

With you, I have found Virginia Tufte's books immensely helpful on the
grammar/rhetoric issue -- I am referring not only to 'Artful Sentences' but
also to her earlier 'Grammar and Style'.  They are wonderful books;  no one
could protest that grammar has little to do with good writing after reading
them.

Edmond Wright

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court