ATEG Archives

December 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:41:40 -0500
Craig,

The pattern you illustrate below is certainly true of Standard English.  However, in colloquial speech and in non-ztandard varieties of English "that" is dropped regularly before 0 subjects in relatives.  I hear people say things like "Anyone/thing touches you touches me" fairly regularly.  This syntactic change is taking place because that's outside the relative clause, just as it's outside the content clause.  If it were a pronoun and perceived as a pronoun cognitively, then I would also expect to hear things like "Thatever gambles loses" along with "Whoever gambles loses."  But that's one I don't hear.   The fact that "that" doesn't delete before a 0 subject relative clause in Formal Standard English reflects the conservatism of that dialect.

Herb