ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:21:14 -0800
Susan, I agree with everything you say. I do start with understanding the
grammatical structure and then practice it rather than vice versa, but then
I am dealing with adults not children--and that order may not be necessary
to adults either! As I have reported before on the listserv, students in the
grammar class at North Seattle Community College report during the quarter
and for years afterward that they now read better than they did before, so
yes, the right kind of grammar instruction can improve reading and writing.
Yes, the sentence combining needs to begin with easy sentences and be very
guided. Ed, there is also a lot of research showing that sentence combining
does improve writing; maybe the tests were not done on the same kind of
exercises, guided and open.
Edith Wollin