ATEG Archives

September 2000

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:54:33 -0500
Rebecca,

I'm really sorry to seem so obtuse, but I just don't catch on.  If you
define a system or a machine or anything exclusively in terms of its parts
and vice versa, I think you necessarily leave unexplained what the system,
machine, thing is for, what it does.  If grammarians can't explain what
sentences are for, what they do that other strings of words don't do, why
they need to have subjects and finite verbs instead of (say) prepositions
and noun phrases, no wonder people find the subject confusing!

David