ATEG Archives

September 2007

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:49:37 -0500
At 07:41 AM 9/11/2007, Nancy Tuten wrote an extremely good note on Style Books:
>One of the most frustrating issues for me in teaching mechanics and usage
>(and I see these as quite different from teaching grammar, syntax) is that
>style books don't agree.

DD: Not frustrating, just the world outside as it is.

>In general, though, the Associated Press Style Manual, which is the bible
>for most in journalism, differs from the majority of other very reputable
>style books (Chicago, MLA, APA) on several key issues. . .

DD: An important point to get across to the student. Write to your
employer's standard. Sigh, at the USAF Air University schools, it
was, "Write to your reader."

>I encourage faculty across the disciplines to be sure the students in their
>majors understand which style will be expected of them once they become
>professionals.

DD: Yes, indeed, and when they write a thesis, the local school will
have a different one.

>But even before they get into their majors, it seems
>important to teach students in high school and in first-year college
>composition classes that different style books exist, that they don't all
>agree, and that it is their responsibility to find out which style a
>particular assignment is supposed to reflect. . . .

DD: Say it over and over. YES.

>This is a topic of much interest to me, so if anyone responds off list,
>please include me. Thanks!

DD: Me, too. I thank you for putting my ideas more succinctly than I did.