ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:55:40 -0500
Brian,

An entirely reasonable criticism.  I am, in fact, working on a longer piece on meanings and functions of the past perfect, which I hope to post in a few days.  Limiting the discussion to the past perfect is a bit constraining, since the past perfect is not a unitary construct.  It's a combination of a specific tense and a specific aspect, which means has deictic both with respect to time reference and with respect to discourse.  At the same time, however, I don't want to get into a comprehensive discussion of tense, aspect, and deixis, which has been handled in whole volumes.

Deixis is, however, a good entry point for expanding on my almost dismissive summary comment that you rightly found unsatisfying.  We have to ask what the writer is pointing to in time and in discourse by using a particular instance of past perfect, which we can't tell without sufficient context.

This is still, regretfully, unsatisfying, but I'll post more on the matter in a few days.

Herb