ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
James Bear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:40:59 -0500
To say the war against grammar is phenom[e]nally stupid is taking a huge
leap.  Because what happens when we teach the whole of traditional
grammar?  If we have an English teacher that understands it, and if he/she
can convey what he/she knows to students, what have we accomplished?  Do
we make better communicators?  I doubt it.  Maybe.  But, those are two
tremendous if's.  Because as our language is, each of us comes away from
everything with a slightly different understanding than the rest of us.
What traditional grammar tries to do is defy that statement.  Even if,
though, we have a super-grammarian that understands all of traditional
grammar well enough to be able to teach it, he will spend his entire
school year trying to teach it to students.  Will he?  Possibly.  If he
does, however, what other things have been missed?  I've known students
who can ace every grammar test yet cannot string a sentence together
--myself included perhaps.

Personally, I teach high school English -- for a small part of the day.
For the rest of the day I teach computer science.  Life is a lot easier if
we can spend all day teaching parts of speech out of a grammar book.  I
learned long ago, though, that students don't write or speak better
because of it.  Computer Science, on the other hand, where we can teach
programming languages instead of spoken languages, is easy.  I can go over
the text book and give students tutorials and never give anything of
myself.  Those are the periods I feel like the C- student trying to avoid
work.  It's a lot more work to have students write and help them sort out
where they failed to communicate.  And at that time, it's true, I end up
teaching some traditional grammar.  It's tough to tell a student his
sentence needs to be revised because his noun and verb do not agree when
he does not recognize a noun or verb.

To me, though, this is how we teach 'just what is necessary'.  We learn to
walk by walking.  We learn to speak by speaking.  We learn to write by
writing.  When we learn to walk, sometimes we fall down and we learn how
to avoid it.  The same holds true with speaking and writing.  The problem
is that with speaking and writing we sometimes don't know when we fall.
That's where the English teacher fits in.

James Bear
Destination:  Quietude