ATEG Archives

May 2009

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 13:30:46 -0400
I may have just posted  "dud" email by mistake right before this one , so apologies for that -- I'm using a different front end program for email than I'm used to. Here's what it was supposed to be:

Martha, Dick, et al.,

Just some potential support: I've tried substituting in "mightily" for "their best" to see if the patterns are roughly the same, on the logic that "mightily" is pretty clearly a manner adverb and its meaning is in the same ballpark as "their best" in this context  (I know, it's colloquial, and similarity in meaning doesn't always entail similarity in structure, but still...):

Artists have tried mightily to express what love means to them.
Artists have tried their best to express what love means to them.

?Artists have mightily tried to express what love means to them.
*Artists have their best tried  to express what love means to them.

*Mightly artists have tried to express what love means to them.
*Their best artists have tried to express what love means to them.
 (sequence is possible but only with different meaning)

*Artists have tried  express what love means to them mightily.
*Artists have tried to express what love means to them their best.

The only real problem for the manner adverb view, I think, is the impossibility of having "their best" fall between the first aux (finite marker) and the rest of the verbal group, but trying to put "mightily" there produces some awkwardness as well -- it may be yet another example of the "heavy material goes after the head" pattern, although some other manner adverbs make that claim iffy.

Bill Spruiell