ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:04:21 -0400
Amanda, et. al.

     Amanda, you should be absolutely commended for your influence in
this. I think there is a bit of the committee effect at work, very
sensible goals mixed in with almost contrary positions, but the shift
toward knowledge about language is palpable, very welcome. I look
forward to reading the appendix.
    What we should be talking about more than we are is that there is huge
change going on within linguistics, away from the idea that grammar is
innate, toward the realization that grammar is learned, away from the
notion that grammar is well understood as a formal system, toward the
realization that it is inevitably tied to cognition and discourse. One
very important corollary of that is that the language a child needs to
learn to use through school is NOT just cleaned up speech, but a kind
of language that is evolving to accomplish the work of a complex civil
society and complex academic disciplines. Students need to be MENTORED
into that, and we have no chance at all of doing that without
demystifying what is required.
    I do believe that students need to learn to position themselves in
relation to important contentious issues, but I worry very much about
what Tannen calls our "argument culture", which tends to force us to
pick a side instead of exploring possibilities and doesn't encourage
us to admit that we don't really know enough to be certain. I tend to
emphasize the idea of making a contribution to an ongoing
conversation--our disciplines, to the extent that they are functional,
are dialogic, and science in particular asks us to hedge in
appropriate ways. For the most part, though, English classes shift
from essays about literature to rather mechanical research projects.
We should do more reportorial and issue related writing, paying
attention to the ways in which those purposes are realized through
language. I think these standards are at least an attempt to expand
the range of discourse we should attend to in our English classes.

Craig

Craig et al.,