ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:45:02 -0500
At 12:07 PM 7/21/2006, Paul E. Doniger wrote:
>Of course that sentence needs revision, and of course the student
>who wrote it needs to be taught that it is in error. One could start
>by trying to show that the word 'at' is redundant and therefore
>unnecessary. . . .

DD: A fair amount of redundancy is needed for effective
communication. See any work on communication theory. Shannon at the
Bell Labs is a good start. As a receiver getting progressively deaf,
I will vouch for that. I look at eyes, body gestures, and appreciate
the inherent redundancies in every day high standard English. I have
noticed that tilting my head and squinting often gets me a
re-transmission in a redundant but different text message. The
important thing is to get the info in the message across. The same
thing when I address students. I watch their eyes and body reactions.
If I get Round eyes, I rephrase and try again. But the understanding
of the format (Grammar) the message is being transmitted in helps a lot.