ATEG Archives

February 1996

From:
Steven Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 20:51:18 -0500

>Would people agree that this sentence is in the passive voice?
>
>       I get paid a large sum each month.
>
>So "get" is a permissible alternative to "be" in passive constructions?

"Get" seems to be not so much passive as part of a larger verb "to get paid"
similar to "to get married,"  "to get angry," "to get with it."  It seems to
stress the experience of a process or change.

With " I get paid very much for my work"  "very much" seems to be an adverb
modifying the intransitive verb "get paid."

Just some thoughts from someone whose new baby is keeping him from having any
kind of dream life.

Steve