ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:35:58 -0500
At 10:41 AM 8/17/2006, Stahlke, Herbert F.W. wrote: . . .
>   Leslie Mulroy argues that Standard
>English in Britain is a function of class while in the US it is more
>about race.

DD: I might demur. Jesse Jackson speaks a pretty High Standard
English. So does Bill Cosby, when he isn't being deliberately in
another character. The white tenants speak Lower Class English around
here in the rural middle of the muddle of Middle Tennessee.The black
tenants, too. There is more similarity between the different races of
the same class, than between those of different. I do not know if
this applies to the urban area.Still, Harold Ford of Memphis, running
for Senate speaks the same High Standard as does his opposition. Best, DD