ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 18:43:07 -0800
Max,

Thanks for "Thinking" about my question and responding so ... dare I say it
... thoughtfully. (Sorry for the pun). To explain my ... idea (I almost did
it again!), I was looking at the word "different" as a quotation, like a
response or a thought. If the sentence, "Think different." is an imperative,
couldn't we look at the word, 'different' as a quotation, which would make
it a 'thing' and therefore a kind of noun? Not that the word itself is a
noun, but a response or a thought is a noun.

Boy, I think I'm getting out of my depth here.

How about this: "Think, 'I would never do that!' " Is the quotation here a
direct object of the verb 'think', or isn't it?

Confusedly yours,

Paul