ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Nancy Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 05:42:46 -0400
We do have to remember, however, that other countries do not necessarily
provide as much access to education.  By that I mean that American public
schools teach to a very wide variety of students.  European schools separate
students and they do so through formal testing programs.  When you start
thinking about a larger variety of students and consider the ways in which
they learn, you must begin to accommodate those different learning styles.

And I DO need to remind you that the vast majority of American public school
students still get very traditional grammar instruction.  They get it, but
they don't necessarily learn it.  We have to ask ourselves why that is.

The conception here seems to be that traditional grammar is no longer taught
in public schools.  I challenge those who think this to visit a dozen
secondary schools and then report back. Don't, by the way, rely too much of
students' reports about what they were taught.  For a number of reasons
these reports are not necessarily reliable.

Nancy

At 05:51 PM 9/17/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Thank you for sending this post; it is much more than just relevant.
>
>Your information that Arabic schools teach traditional grammar (for
>both first and second languages) is valuable.  It is the same
>practice that other contributors from outside of North America have
>observed.  There are many countries which still teach traditional
>grammar.  Most visitors and new Canadians that I have spoken to
>are a little surprised at what's going on in our schools.
>
>Like most who comment on this, you consider your own children
>fortunate to recieve this kind of education.  This is another positive
>testimony on traditional grammar.
>
>As you describe it, your children seem to be receiving a truly rich
>and varied education!
Nancy G. Patterson, PhD
English Department Chair
Portland Middle School, Portland, MI

"To educate as the practice of freedom is a way of teaching that anyone can
learn."

--bell hooks

http://www.msu.edu/user/patter90/opening.htm
http://www.npatterson.net