ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:52:55 -0400
I'm used to hearing "in quest of..." as an equivalent for "in pursuit
of..." -- I'm wondering if "in a quest" is the result of "on a quest"
blurring into "in quest of," rather like we've recently gotten a lot of
examples of "on accident" from the collision (I know, bad pun) between
"by accident" and "on purpose."

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University