ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
Lorraine Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2008 14:14:29 -0700
I too would be interested in knowing what you find.

Lorraine

At 07:31 PM 12/7/2008, Dee Allen-Kirkhouse wrote: . . .
>I am in the process of doing a research project in which I asked all the
>seniors in the high school to write an essay at the beginning of the school
>year.  I analyzed those essays for the ability to use punctuation
>effectively and to write sentences of varying complexity.  Every teacher in
>our department approaches grammar instruction in his/her own way.  Seniors
>in my classes are being taught grammar systematically using both their
>assigned reading and their own sentences for analysis.  Many teachers in my
>department don't teach grammar beyond the Daily Language Practice provided
>by the publishers of the literature textbook.  The practice is basically a
>proofreading exercise.  At the end of the school year, seniors will again
>take an assessment test.  I will compare the results of the two writing
>samples.  I want to know if my systematic approach produces more
>sophisticated writers by the end of the year.

DD: As a psychometrician, retired, I think your approach is sound. I
have minor quibbles on the testing method, but better scientific
research than is normally reported in the literature. Please keep me
posted as to how it goes, frustrations, et al.Great to see someone
approach it in a scientific manner.