ATEG Archives

March 2005

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:21:01 -0500
Thanks Jo --

I had had one of those moments in which one realizes that a construction
one has been using since childhood is really, really weird. I have no
problem with viewing the "Go camping" type as different from the "Don't
go thinking" type, and with viewing both as serial verb constructions. I
use an approach that's founded on the same kinds of initial premises as
you do though -- we're both quite comfortable with the notion of serial
verb constructions in English, etc. I'm not sure what other approaches
would do with this type of material. Viewing serial verbs as equivalent
to single lexical items might solve the problem for some theories, but
that has its problems as well. "To go camping" is more than just "to go
camp" with an "-ing" suffix; otherwise, "I'm about to go camp" and "I'm
about to go camping" wouldn't seem as different as they do. A semantic
explanation involving quasi-aspectual differences makes perfect sense --
but undermines the "fused item" explanation.

If students are using a "traditional-esque" grammar framework, though,
serial verbs probably won't be acknowledged much, if at all. Would the
difference between the two types justify calling the "X-ing" element in
them by different names? How I'd go discussing this in a graduate class,
and how I'd go discussing it in an undergraduate class, would be quite
different (and with ninth-graders, I'm not sure what I'd do, other than
to try to get them to play with variations to see how much fun they
could have with it and to see how chewy their own language is).

Bill Spruiell