ATEG Archives

November 2008

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:22:22 -0600
I have to take issue with the following statement by Martha.

>>> Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]> 11/17/2008 7:08 AM >>>

R&K diagrams aren't perfect. But they do a good job of showing the
structural relationships of sentence parts, no matter where in the
sentence they appear, distinguishing form and function.

****
My understanding of RK diagrams is that both 1 and 2 would be diagramed the same.

1) John is easy to please.
2) John is eager to please.

The relationship of John to please is different in these two sentences.  In (1), John is the object of please; in (2) John is the subject of please.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri