ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
DD Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:42:03 -0500
At 03:34 PM 7/26/2006, Phil Bralich wrote:
>If you think that there is room for ATEG to actually change a term
>like that you are likely to be in for a surprise.  Parts of Speech
>is not an error.  It is not meant to cover phrases and clause and
>sentence types nor should you have a more precise term for all of
>them other than grammar terminology.  What you always have and
>cannot realistically change are the parts of speech, the sentence
>roles and sentence types.

DD: For this late joiner, retired Latin teacher, please elucidate. I
count 9 parts of speech, the usual 8 in Latin plus the article.
{Noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, verb, interjection, conjunction,
preposition + article} The roles I think follow such things as
Subject (nominative), Objects (Sometimes accusative, dative or
occasionally something else.), verbal, modifiers, link words, but I
am not all that sure of the official paradigm for the rest of the
roles. Sentence types seem to me to be interrogative, declarative,
imperative, then I am lost. { Simple, Compound, Complex?} A little
help on this would be appreciated.