ATEG Archives

March 2008

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 00:38:11 -0400
One problem that we seem to be ignoring is the distinction between
literate and educated.  Some of the least literate individuals that
I have encountered have been fellow professors; oddly enough, the
teachers of my acquaintance have, on the whole, been more literate
than the professors.  No teachers could increase their value as
teachers by writing a dissertation on the placement of trash cans
in girls restrooms in public high schools.
Too often, education is becoming the process of acquiring certificates
of attendance--even though attendance may be seldom or never taken.
It would be nice if colleges and universities could have the equivalent
of GEDs so that knowledge and writing skills could be objectively
tested.  A pipe dream, I am certain because the Halls of Acaenemia
are unlikely to consent to having their students undergo such a
traumatic experience.  I know of only one university that requires
the GRE as a prerequisite to graduation.  Such a process allows for
the evaluation of the individual, departmental, college, and university
even if the score does not impact graduation.
Both my father and my mother's father lacked high school diplomas but
ranked among the most literate of my acquaintance.
Scott Catledge

Date:    Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:36:08 -0400
From:    Linda Di Desidero <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Subjunctive

At a recent (large) faculty meeting, one of the administrators ran a
'warm-up' activity. The idea was for faculty members to stand up,
introduce themselves, and talk about what they would be doing on a
Saturday morning if they were not attending this meeting.

I kept track: At least half of the speakers said "If I was not here"
while almost half said "If I were not here."  I was surprised, given
that this was an educated group of people and the speaking occasion was
not all that informal.

Oh, the things we find to interest ourselves!

Linda

=20

Linda Di Desidero, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Assistant Academic Director of Writing

Communication, Arts, and Humanities

University of Maryland University College=20

3501 University Boulevard East

Adelphi, MD  20783-8083