ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:55:02 -0600
Shun,

The following book in the area of Philosophy of Language may be if interest to you!

Peter Ludlow, Semantics, Tense, and Time: An Essay in the Metaphysics of Natural Language.  (1999) A Bradford Book (MIT Press) 264pp.
0-262-12219-7

I quote from the publisher's prospectus:

"In this book Peter Ludlow uses the metaphysics of time as a case study and focuses on the dispute between A-theorists and B-theorists about the nature of time.  According to B-theorists, there is no genuine change, but a permanent sequence of events ordered by an earlier-than/later-than relation.  According to the version of the A-theory adopted by Ludlow (a position sometimes called "presentism"), there are no past or future events or times; what makes something past or future is how the world stands right now.

"Ludlow argues that each metaphysical picture is tied to a paticular semantical theory of tense and that the dispute can be adjudicated on semantical grounds.  A presentism-compatible semantics, he claims, is superior to a B-theory semantics in a number of respects, including its abilities to handle the indexical nature of temporal discourse and to account for facts about language acquisition.  Along the way, Ludlow develops a conception of "E-type" temporal anaphora that can account for both temporal anaphora and complex tenses without reference to past and future events.  His view has philosophical consquences for theories of logic, self-knowledge, and memory.  As for linguistic consequences, Ludlow suggests that the very idea of grammatical tense may have to be dispensed with and replaced with some combination of aspect, modality, and evidentiality.

I think that there is a confusion about the parts of grammar called syntax (including morphology) and semantics.  There is no way to deny that there is a syntactic phenomenon called tense: we see it in the forms of the verbs, such as shall (present form) and should (past form).  No one would claim that these forms have very much to do with time in most uses.  Depending on the verb, we may ignore time, noticing that the changes are often of aspect, modality, and evidentiality.  Thus present perfect usually refers to the perfective aspect, not to the present time!  The words "present action" are not talking about tense at all, so what is so hard about defining them, that is not difficult for any semantical terms?  What is your philosophical stance?  You are not asking semanticists.  We are not philosophers of language.  I think you're asking the wrong people.  We can only give naive answers, which it seems you cannot be satisfied with.  I suggest you ask the philosophers.

Bruce

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/14/01 10:54PM >>>
Subject: How to define a 'present action'?

A present action seems to be very basic knowledge, but it is most puzzling.
May someone kindly tell me, how to define a present action?

Shun
englishtense.com