ATEG Archives

November 2001

From:
"Evans, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:17:11 -0600
I have noticed that naming of the tenses is changing as our understanding of
syntax deepens.  Would you please tell me what you would call the tenses
used in the following sentences. I feel kind of dumb asking this question,
but find that I often call a tense one thing, only to find there is a more
sophisticated or "modern" word for it.

The gardener called, and we are sitting there and she comes in and we called
him back

We were sitting there

He comes every week

We must have been sitting there for an hour

And what about this sentence:

She used to make the soup, and then would bring it to him in the bedroom.