ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:52:27 -0500
Rather than the media reinforcing or eroding dialect variation, media
may simply be largely irrelevant to the changes going on. Media
representations certainly affect (and even effect) the kinds of
stereotyped social judgments people make about the dialects themselves,
but viewers/hearers may not incorporate many features from whatever
"standard" forms they're exposed to via television or radio. The key
point is that you can't interact with the television or the radio; you
can't really socialize with people on a screen. Even those poor souls
who fanatically follow the daily travails of Brad Pitt and Angelina
Jolie (sp?) probably don't view themselves as being part of the same
group as those two (and linguists certainly wouldn't view them as being
in the same speech network, except via very long-distance connections).
What the talking head on the screen thinks of your speech is always
going to be less important than what your neighbor thinks, or your
teacher, or -- especially-- your loved ones. Dialect variation may
indeed decrease among that segment of society that moves a good deal and
has a vested interest in not being discernibly from anywhere in
particular, but that segment has always existed to some extent, and it
has never been the majority of the population.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University