ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:34:50 +0100
> Bruce,

Re your mention of Chinese, this quotation from Ernest Fenellosa ('The
Chinese Written Character as a Medium for Poetry' ed. Ezra Pound, San
Francisco: City Lights, 1969) might interest you:

'A true noun, an isolated thing, does not exist in nature.  Things are only
the terminal points, or rather the meeting points of actions, cross-sections
cut through actions, snapshots.  Neither can a pure verb, an abstract
motion, be possible in nature.  The eye sees noun and verb as one:  things
in motion, motion in things, and so the Chinese conception tends to
represent them.'  [See p. 511 in 'Imagining Language:  an Anthology', Jed
Rasula and Steve McCaffery (eds.), Cambridge, MA:  MIT Press, 1998]

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road