ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Edmond Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:48:31 +0000
> As an English English speaker I note that, in the discussion over 'due to', no
one has referred to what is regarded as a common error over here, one which is
bidding fair to become standard.  You all refer to 'due' correctly in my view as
an adjective.  But it is now often used here as the first word of an adverbial
prepositional phrase thus:

They cancelled the match due to the rain.
Due to his complaints the menu was withdrawn.
Due to the protests from the Catholic clergy, a free vote has now been
allowed in the Commons.

I myself wince when reading these, preferring 'owing to' in place of 'due
to'.  Has this error found any takers in America?

Edmond

Dr. Edmond Wright
3 Boathouse Court
Trafalgar Road