ATEG Archives

May 2001

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 07:59:51 -0500
Is it relevant that verb forms used in isolation have chronological
implications at that are routinely overridden by adverbs?  For example, I
think it is correct to say that "I'm eating," is a present progressive
tense in both form and meaning and implies that I am in the process of
eating at the present time, as I speak.  In "I'm eating at Dave's
tomorrow," the verb becomes future in meaning because of the adverb; in
"I'm eating at Dave's the other day when I guy comes up to me and says..."
it is past in meaning.  Ancient grammarians distinguished between the
proper meaning of words and the meanings that they acquired by the
logical implications of their contexts. Is it possible that this is the
underlying issue?