ATEG Archives

August 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:42:47 +1000
Johanna, this was very interesting reading. Thank you. But may I press one
point a little more? I have a feeling that Fillmore's case grammar
encourages it. In these two sentences:

i We are going fishing
ii We are going to London

there is the sense that we `are going' somewhere. So an adverbial function
of `fishing' and `to London' is operative: both the gerund and the proper
noun reveal where `we are going'. But, especially of `to London', it is
against the grain to say that it is an adverb, probably because of its
proper-noun form, which is quintessentially nounal. (For me, there is more
comfort in the term `locative noun'.) All the same, we are stuck with
instances of nouns modifying verbs and, at least on that count, functioning
as adverbs.That is why I should like to invite you to look at the
possibility that a structure in which there is a locative noun is markedly
different from, say:

iii `We are hitting Mary',

where the subject-object relationship is clear and `are hitting' is
necessarily a verb.

The perspective I put to you is that we do not have a verb at all in i and
ii: There is no relationship of activity between subject and object as there
is in iii. (The subject `we' does not perform an act of `are going' upon
either `fishing' or `to London'). Instead, the subject's activity in each
instant is denoted by a copular verb of which the noun-complement `fishing'
specifies the direction/location/place.

I should love to have your opinion.

Sophie