ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:47:35 -0700
Yes but that also holds for canine.  There is no pure canine only breeds that represent canine; i.e, an animal that is representative of all breeds of dog.  Any time you get above the ontogenetic you will no longer find pure examples.

The Chinese language unlike western languages does not emphasize determinate space that is why you do not see articles and even plural.  When every noun is a non-count noun and you have to use counters rather than plural you see a wish to remain in an undetermined reality.  Not wanting to be too definite.  This works well for what it is, and the attitude is understandable but I don't ever recall having a problem identifying parts of speech in Chinese in spite of these interesting though rather poetic beliefs.

I heard a Tibetan guy one time tell me that the Chinese are incapable of doing grammar.  That is, that the culture prefers a poetic to a logical world.

Phil Bralich

> [...]
>> instance of a material object, whether its name is "Fido" or there is some
>> other
>> noun or noun phrase or even noun clause used to do the referring.  You would
>> thereby be saying that nounness belongs to many things that are not nouns.
>> This
>> is what we ought to avoid.  A noun is only part of a noun clause or noun
>> phrase.
>>

>> Bruce

>> I didn't say these ideas were easy or obvious.  That is why they merit long
>> discussions by the world's greatest philosophers; however, we have this rather
>> limited world of meanings ascribed to words that are representative of real
>> world experience.  So rather than talking of the whole of truth and the whole
>> of
>> the human experience of truth, we can limit ourselves to an example and the
>> way
>> it is represented.  Nounness is of course a quality of the word "dog".
>> Nounness
>> is also a quality of the animal itself as much as four-leggedness and having
>> hair.  It is easier to see in broader generalizations.  The word "entity" in
>> particular works best.  Noun is certainly a quality of the word "dog" but it
>> is
>> just as certainly a quality of the existent animal; i.e.,  nouness or
>> entity-hood.
>>
>> Try to take this journey from specific to general and see if you might agree
>>
>> fur, hair, teeth, claws--> canine, animal, living being, a species -->
>> something animate, entity, item in the mind of god, noun,
>>
>> Phil Bralich
>>

>> Your statement is problematic: "I believe that noun is a quality of the animal
>> itself."  How can that be?  Noun must be a quality of the word "animal" or
>> "dog", etc., not of the animal being designated with it.  What is material to
>> the discussion?  We may use language to model anything as an noun.  You have
>> simply shifted the work of "noun" to that of "entity".  That hardly helps
>> understanding, nor does it jibe with the basic principle of linguistics, which
>> takes language as the object of study, not animals.  My point is that
>> languages
>> do not always model the world in the same way.  For example, a feminine noun
>> does not always refer to a female object, etc.  Classification in animals
>> cannot
>> be taken to correspond to the classification in the designations of those
>> animals.  Biologists have to develop their own language to do that, and that
>> not
>> always successfully.
>>
>> Bruce

>> Really immaterial to the discussion.  "Table" "Chair" "heat" "ghost"
>> "enthusiasm" "Napolean" "The Present King of France" are all entities.  Some
>> may
>> be non-existent, but they are all entities.

>>> Tel.: 805.756.2184
>>> Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596