ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:57:41 -0600
I'm sometimes surprised about criticism of linguistics.  Let's be clear that linguistics is a discipline that studies the nature of the human mind.   It is a legitimate field of study whether it has any application to how people learn to write.

>>> Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]> 2/28/2008 7:51 AM >>>
   I was thinking myself how little attention has been given to
intonation and punctuation. Sometimes I think linguists become
interested in something in inverse proportion to its usefulness, but
that may be a writing teacher's perspective.

A real linguist has studied punctuation from a linguistic perspective: Geoffrey Nunberg.

His book is The Linguistics of Punctuation.  Here is the book's description on Amazon.

Geoffrey Nunberg challenges a widespread assumption that the linguistic structure of written languages is qualitatively identical to that of spoken language: It should no longer be necessary to defend the view that written language is truly language, but it is surprising to learn of written-language category indicators that are realized by punctuation marks and other figural devices.' He shows that traditional approaches to these devices tend to describe the features of written language exclusively by analogy to those of spoken language, with the result that punctuation has been regarded as an unsystematic and deficient means for presenting spoken-language intonation. Analysed in its own terms, however, punctuation manifests a coherent linguistic subsystem of 'text-grammar' that coexists in writing with the system of 'lexical grammar' that has been the traditional object of linguistic inquiry. A detailed analysis of the category structure of English text-sentences reveals a highly systematic set of syntactic and presentational rules that can be described in terms independent of the rules of lexical grammar and are largely matters of the tacit knowledge that writers acquire without formal instruction. That these rules obey constraints that are structurally analogous to those of lexical grammar leads Nunberg to label the text-grammar an 'application' of the principles of natural language organization to a new domain. Geoffrey Nunberg is a researcher at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center.

I have found the text useful as a way to understand the "innovative" punctuation of my students.  Nunberg, who has absolutely no commitment to systemtic functional linguistics, does not tell writing teachers how to teach punctuation and does not provide any principles of "effective" punctuation, so it may not be useful for some people.

Bob Yates, University of Central Missouri